Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Let's talk about scarves



We cannot talk about Hermes, without giving homage to their beautiful and iconic scarves.  Beautifully crafted, each 90cmx90cm piece of natural silk is hand-stitched, and can include the work of as many as forty artisans to make.  An artist designs the scarf and the design is engraved and transferred to silkscreens.  The silk is then painted using the screens, one for each color, layer by layer, from the darkest color to the lightest. A scarf can take up to two years to finish, before it is painstakingly inspected, wrapped in acid-free paper, and placed in a signature orange box.  A true piece of art that can be worn.

Since I was a little girl, I’ve loved the intrigue and grace of wearing scarves, nothing made me feel more grown up or a lady.  You can wrap it around your shouders, fold it around your neck, wear it as a belt, tie it around your hair or let it hang like a statement from your handbag.

Here are a few of my favorites from the Autumn/Winter 2011 designs.

This last, called the L'ivresse l'infini, makes my heart skip a beat each time I see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment